Forums » Introduce Yourself

DeSmith traded to Canucks by Canadiens for Pearson

• December 24, 2023 11:22 PM PST

Casey DeSmith was traded to the Vancouver Canucks by the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday for Tanner Pearson and a third-round choice in the 2025 NHL Draft.DeSmith, who has one period remaining on a two-year, $3.6 million agreement he signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins on July 5, 2022, was 15-16-4 with a 3.17 goals-against standard and.905 save percentage in an NHL career-high 38 video games last season. The 32-year-old was traded to the Canadiens by the Penguins in a three-team bargain that sent defenseman Erik Karlsson from the San Jose Sharks to Pittsburgh on Aug. 6. Signed by the Penguins as an undrafted complimentary representative on July 1, 2017, DeSmith is 58-44-15 with a 2.81 GAA,.912 save percentage and 9 shutouts in 134 regular-season video games. He has played one Stanley Mug Playoff game.Pearson hasn't played considering that Nov. 9, when he harmed his hand while blocking a shot. The 31-year-old forward, that had 5 points in 14 video games last season Bob Berry Jersey, initially was anticipated to be out 4-6 weeks, but the injury needed numerous surgeries and motivated an internal testimonial of his treatment by the Canucks." I can tell you that he's currently passed his physical testing in Vancouver, " Canadiens general supervisor Kent Hughes stated Wednesday. "He's skating. I assume the stamina in his damaged hand is practically 80 percent. Is it 100 percent? No, however we expect that he's mosting likely to be readily available to play and take part in camp. I think he's getting here today so he'll be on the ice tomorrow." Pearson stated on the first day of Montreal training school Thursday that his health and wellness will not be an issue." I'm really feeling good, " he stated. I'm prepared to rock and eagerly anticipating start. I'll be good to go." Pearson is going into the final season of a three-year, $9.75 million contract he signed with Vancouver on April 8, 2021. Picked by the Los Angeles Kings in the very first round of the 2012 NHL Draft, Pearson has 272 points in 590 regular-season games with the Kings Luc Robitaille Jersey, Penguins and Canucks. He additionally has 23 points in 51 championship game, consisting of helping Los Angeles win the Stanley Mug in 2014. Hughes stated the Canadiens worth Pearson for his experience." We need a little bit of gray hair also to pass along those experiences to our more youthful players and I assume Tanner can bring that to the group, " he claimed. "I don't know if his physical return will be a straight path or if there will certainly be obstacles in the process, yet our team believe that he is healthy right now." Canucks GM Patrik Allvin stated Wednesday the profession would certainly supply Pearson a fresh beginning, and produce even more possibility for Vancouver's younger forwards." I could not guarantee ice time and a roster spot and we felt this was a hockey bargain where we enhance our deepness in net on the back end obtaining an established goalie in Casey DeSmith Jim Fox Jersey, " Allvin claimed, "Yet the renovation of our more youthful wingers made us excited and we felt that this was a move that liberated some cap adaptability also." For his part, Pearson claimed he's welcoming a new start with Montreal." I have actually undergone it prior to so it's really wonderful, " he said. "It's right before camp so I have actually type of still obtained the camp with the guys and infiltrate the systems that we intend to play."